NASW-WI Advocacy Day 2023
Wednesday, April 12, 2023
NASW-WI 2023 Advocacy Day
Wednesday, April 12th, 2023
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Registration 8:00 - 9:00 am
Monona Terrace Community & Convention Center - 1 John Nolan Dr., Madison, WI
and the Wisconsin State Capitol - 2 East Main St., Madison, WI
Join us for this EMPOWERING program!
Keynote Speaker Tanya Atkinson, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Wisconsin
- Wisconsin State Budget - In this training, Kristin Schumacher, Research Director at Kids Forward, will present information on the impact of the state budget on children and families in Wisconsin, including taking Medicaid expansion monies, and how we can advocate for a budget that supports the most vulnerable residents of our state.
- Raise the Age - In this training, Emily Coddington, Associate Director of Wisconsin Association of Family & Children’s Agencies, Inc will present information regarding the current state policy of referring 17-year-olds to adult court, and the campaign to end this policy.
- Licensure Issues - In this training, NASW WI Executive Director Marc Herstand will present information on the current severe backlog in the processing of social work certification and licensure applications and the budget and policy proposals that could address this problem.
- Anti-racism, Anti-sexism, Gender Identity & Sexual Orientation Legislation - In this training, NASW WI Executive Director Marc Herstand will present information regarding proposed state legislation restricting ant-racism & anti-sexism education in K-12 schools, WI technical colleges and universities and local and state government, as well as anti-LGBTQ+ legislation restricting discussion of gender identity and sexual orientation in the public schools.
- Affordable Housing - In this training, Emily Kenney, Director of Systems Change at Impact, Inc will present information regarding the Housing First program, which has been shown to be very effective in reducing homelessness.
- Advocacy 101 - In this training, Jack O’Meara of O’Meara Public Affairs, LLC will discuss the basics of advocacy in the Wisconsin state legislature.
Incentives for Attending Advocacy Day
Learn about legislation of interest to social workers
Participate in a unique networking opportunity
Receive training on advocacy & lobbying techniques
Speak out & gain legislative support for NASW WI priority issues
Earn up to 3 continuing education hours!
All Students- $40.00, Members- $45.00, Non-Members- $50.00
*Note: All fees include breakfast & lunch
Register By Mail or Fax
Registration deadline Wednesday, March 29th, 2023.
**NO ON-SITE REGISTRATIONS ACCEPTED**