Student Voter ID Resources

NASW-WI has prepared this fact sheet so you can be registered to vote and have your voice heard.

Have I got the right photo ID to vote?


The most common forms of photo ID are:

  • WI Driver License or Receipt
  • WI State ID Card or Receipt
  • US Passport
  • Veteran Affairs ID
  • Military ID
  • Tribal ID
  • Certificate of Naturalization

The address on your ID needs to be current unless you bring proof of residency. Your ID must be valid, meaning it cannot be expired.

Can I use my student photo ID to vote?

Yes, if it has:

  • Your name and a photo of you
  • Your signature
  • The date the ID was issued
  • The date the card expires  which must be less than two years after the card was issued

The standard student ID at only 3 University of Wisconsin 4-year schools and 7 private schools meet the voter-ID requirements. Most schools will issue a separate ID in order to vote upon request. The list is available at .

You must also have a separate document that proves enrollment if you use your student ID.  Ask your institution for a copy of your tuition bill as this is probably the most common form for proof of enrollment or any type of documentation from the school that provides information that you are enrolled.  Some colleges may issue new student IDs for voting purposes that meet these requirements, so check with your student information center or student affairs office.

I’m not from Wisconsin, can I still vote here?

Yes, but what you need to do will depend on if you live on or off-campus.

If you live on campus:

Bring one of the approved photo IDs listed above and proof of your school enrollment.

If you live off-campus:

Bring one of the approved photo IDs that are listed and proof of residency. The most commonly used proof of residency is a utility bill, bank statement, or pay stub. More information regarding proof of residency requirements can be found at .

Can I vote at my hometown/parents' address instead of my school’s?

Yes, if you already registered at another address that you return to during school breaks, you may continue to vote there.  If you live and plan to vote out of state, understand that the requirements for voting may be different, and it is highly suggested you look up the requirements for that state ASAP.

If you have not registered at another address previously, or at your school’s address, you may choose where to register and vote.

I have not previously registered to vote; how and when should I do this?

If you have a Wisconsin Driver’s License or State ID, you can register online at  and follow the instructions provided. The deadline for voter registration  (for online and mail)  is July 20, 2022. Depending on how long you wait, you may not have time to mail in your application, but you can do it in person at your municipal clerk’s office or on the day of the election in your designated polling place.

I’ve previously registered to vote, how do I change my voting address?

You will need to re-register if you are living and planning on voting at a different address than in the last election you participated in.

I’m going to graduate before the general election, what should I do?

If you have registered at your school’s address, you may continue to vote at that address until you have lived at your new address for 10 consecutive days.

For more information or further details go to

Voter ID Fact Sheet for Students  – PDF